When our hormones are in balance we feel young, vibrant and full of energy. When our hormones are out of balance we feel old, tired and weak. As we age our hormone levels change, our sex hormones decrease and we all know that perimenopause and menopause wreak havoc on our bodies!
Age is obviously something we can’t control, but hormonal imbalance is. Diet and lifestyle play just as much of a role in our hormonal situation as does our age. And the number one thing you can do to keep your hormones in balance is to fix your diet.
Maybe you have a high wellness IQ and you know a little about eating a healthy diet, great! But if not, listen up because fixing your diet can help you balance hormones and keep you feeling young!
- Eat a variety of plants and vegetables in all colors. Literally, eat the rainbow! Fruits and vegetables should be your main source of carbohydrates.
- Ditch processed, refined, starchy carbs. Bagels, pizza, pasta, and soft pretzels have zero nutritional value and white flour and sugar will spike your blood sugar. Get rid of these foods for higher quality, complex carbohydrates. Control insulin levels!
- Get adequate amounts of high-quality protein!
- Consume enough fat in your diet including Omega 3 & 6. Hormones are built from fat and cholesterol. A low-fat diet is not a way to control weight and will not allow your hormones to function optimally.
- Keep your gut healthy. An unhealthy gut will not absorb all the beautiful foods necessary to thrive. Your gut health should be a top priority!
- Remove toxins, including preservatives, additives, artificial sweeteners and alcohol. Your liver health is important for detoxing your entire body including excess hormones. If your liver is busy detoxing toxins it can’t do its job!
- And of course, remember to sleep well and exercise often!
If you are interested in furthering this conversation or have other health and wellness concerns contact me! Let’s book a discovery session!